Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There seems to be an issue with the software. I'm getting a critical diagnostic saying the taxpayers name is being truncated for e-file. The name is 6 letters.

mhiguera247
Level 1
If I use 3 letters it eliminates the diagnostic. But obviously I need to input the correct name.
0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

It's the IRS' name control instead of the software.

The IRS matches the SSN and the first four characters of the last name. The IRS has a standard convention Intuit needs to follow for converting last name such as the one you mentioned where there is a space in between. So long as you have entered your client's last name as on the social security card, you should be fine.

If your client is a married individual, did you check whether she uses her maiden name or the husband's last name on the social security card?  A lot of times, that's the cause of the rejection.

If everything checks out, make sure you have the correct DoB.

Your last resort would be to have her call the SSA to verify the records.  And failing which, the return will have to be filed on paper.

In case you want to find out more about the convention, you can refer to the bookmarked section of this IRS publication: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4164.pdf#%5B%7B%22num%22%3A602%2C%22gen%22%3A0%7D%2C%7B%22name%22%3...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers