Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The below critical diagnostics stays forever. How can I get rid of it? Federal Form 8915F (2020) is final, but the instructions are still in draft.

mjleecpa
Level 1
critical diagnostics
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I familiarize myself with the tax law, read the forms instructions, and determine whether I've prepared a complete and accurate return. If so, I encourage the client to file it. If not, I attempt to prepare a complete and accurate return that the client can file. If impossible due to software limitation, I wait patiently / prepare the return on paper / attach a correctly-completed PDF of the form that's got an incorrect presentation but the right tax answer.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Wait until the form

Spoiler

is  instructions are final. Maybe tomorrow 3/9/23. Maybe not.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

Or just ignore the diagnostic and file the return, assuming you are correct that the numbers are correct. 

Many such diagnoses are not e-file critical.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BC V1819
Level 2

I contacted Lacerte regarding "the potential that calculations could change, and that you may need to file an amended return when the instructions are final."

The representative told me to update and reapply update again to the 2022 tax software. After updating, I explained the diagnostic was still there. She said I could bypass the diagnosis and e-file. I explained I was concerned about the accuracy of the return; therefore, I needed to know when I could e-file. She said, "Lacerte is waiting for the IRS to let them know the instruction form is finalized and will not reach out to the IRS." 

I explained the 8915-F instruction form appears to be finalized according to the IRS website.  But, she said, "Lacerte is waiting for the IRS to tell them that 8915F is finalized."

How are others handling this situation? Wait? Or file and then amend later?

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I familiarize myself with the tax law, read the forms instructions, and determine whether I've prepared a complete and accurate return. If so, I encourage the client to file it. If not, I attempt to prepare a complete and accurate return that the client can file. If impossible due to software limitation, I wait patiently / prepare the return on paper / attach a correctly-completed PDF of the form that's got an incorrect presentation but the right tax answer.