Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax preparation fee

nmms
Level 4

I am losing a client I had for four prior years to someone he says he was referred to who my client of four prior years says this someone will prepare his Individual tax returns for $15. What software and how many tax returns would a tax preparer need to prepare to be able to charge that low of a fee and cover the cost of their tax software (not including paper, ink, etc.)?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
BobKamman
Level 15

Not only that, but he found a brain surgeon willing to remove that tumor for $28.49.  Clients who are just looking for cheap take up time that could be used for clients looking for competent.  Put it out of your mind.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Who is the preparer?  For $15, I’m going to start having him prepare my return.

As a side note, there is something to be said about the old “you get what you pay for”

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Yeah, but....  to e-file it costs $ 250.

I can't/won't even open an envelope for $ 15.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

No, the e-filing is free too.  But you sign a waiver so I can sell your name, address, SSN and date of birth on the Dark Web.  

nmms
Level 4

David is his first name and according to my client from filing individual tax returns for tax year 2016 - 2019, this guy's first name is David and he has an office in West Tulsa near Gilcrease Museum. 

nmms
Level 4

I suspect the guy named David (didn't get his last name out of my client aka now former client) uses TurboTax which is not licensed for paid preparers so the guy does not have his name on the return as Preparer and has no PTIN.