Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSN for adopted child received after filing deadline but before extension deadline

cgough
Level 1

I adopted a child in 2021. Due to various uncontrollable bureaucratic circumstances, I was unable to get a new SSN for him until May 2022, so I filed for an extension in order to claim him as a dependent on my return. I filed in May but when I received my refund, the amount was $4,472 less than TurboTax had calculated. Based on the vague explanation I got from the IRS that did list a SSN issue as one of the possible reasons, I was able to determine they removed the entire Child Tax Credit and reduced the Recovery Rebate Credit by removing him as a dependent.

From everything I’ve read, they should have taken the extension into account [social security number that was issued on or before the due date of your 2021 return (including extension)] but it looks like they did not.

I will first try to convince them to accept his SSN issued in May 2022, but if that doesn’t work, could I file an amended return with his birth name and original SSN? And would that cause problems when I use his current name and new SSN when I file 2022 taxes in 2023?

Note: On the advice from our lawyer, we got a new SSN and did not link it to the original one since the birth parents may have it.

Thanks in advance!

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

Greetings New User - ,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support of the not so professional .

Have a wonderful day!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
qbteachmt
Level 15

When you go to the TurboTax forum, your log in here will also work there. That's why people get confused. This is a place for users of Pro Connect, a different product than TurboTax.

"And would that cause problems when I use his current name and new SSN when I file 2022 taxes in 2023?

Note: On the advice from our lawyer, we got a new SSN and did not link it to the original one since the birth parents may have it."

Yes, that's why I wanted to answer. You need to work with the SSA to straighten out this mess, and get a letter from them identifying the one and only SSN that applies for this person and name. It took my client almost a year to get everything reassigned. There had to be a court filing for the name change, and a birthdate correction, as well. All three ID items need to be what is on file.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.