Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should depreciation recapture reduce sec 121 exclusion? Pub 523 worksheet indicated it a reduction of basis.? Have checked on IRS website for depreciation recapture

John Van Horn
Level 2
Client purchase property 2016.  Lived in property for 2 years then rental property, sold property  in 2021.   Net
Gain 138K     Per Pub 523,  TP eligible for 500K  section 121 exclusion.  Per worksheet deprecation recapture is to reduce basis of property.   Deprecation recapture is not clearly address.  
Software program  and google search, etc.  Indicates that depreciation recapture $ 30k  is taxable.  

Client read Pub 523,  And is questions why the 30K is reducing the 121 Exclusion..   

Need link to clearly indicate Depreciation recapture reduces the exclusion amount.   

Have searched the IRS website.  No replies for depreciation recapture.     Search for IRS Code section 121.   replies not relevant to Section 121

Thank you in advance

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
John Van Horn
Level 2

Thank you.  

The only follow up question =    It states that you MAY have to take back some or all of the depreciation aa ordinary income

This cash     Client is filing jointly  entitled to 500K exclusion -    Gain is only 138K 

Depreciation is 30K           Gain with deprecation recapture is 130K   which is less than the 500K 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

Gain to the extent of prior depreciation is taxable. Taxpayer got a tax benefit for it.

The rest of the gain is eligible for the exclusion, according to all the rules.

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Have your client see page 14 "Recapturing Depreciation" in pub 523. It is not reducing capital gain exclusion. it is adding the depreciation to  ordinary income

John Van Horn
Level 2

Thank you.   I understand that aspect.   

Actually i looking for source link -  that describes the rules.

Client is looking at Publication 523  does not clearly describe the rules.  

Also have found no reference on the IRS website that explains the rules 

0 Cheers
John Van Horn
Level 2

Thank you.  

The only follow up question =    It states that you MAY have to take back some or all of the depreciation aa ordinary income

This cash     Client is filing jointly  entitled to 500K exclusion -    Gain is only 138K 

Depreciation is 30K           Gain with deprecation recapture is 130K   which is less than the 500K 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@John Van Horn The 121 exclusion is up to $500,000 of Capital gains for MFJ. Any time you claim deprecation you will have to reclaim as ordinary income 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm just going on a rant now ... whoever revised Publication 523 a number of years back is a complete idiot.

It is NOT "recapture", it is "Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain".

It is NOT "ordinary income", it is "capital gain" that is taxed at ordinary rates, up to 25%.

/Rant off/

rbynaker
Level 13

@John Van Horn wrote:

If you have a loss you do not need to pick up the depreciation as income.  That's where the "may" comes in.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@TaxGuyBill I agree with you, but I was only trying to get John to understand he has to pay tax on the deprecation 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm sorry Terry, that wasn't aimed at you.  You were just repeating what the OP and the Publication says. 

It's the person at the IRS that I'm annoyed at.  It's improved slightly over the last few years, but when they first revised Publication 523 it had SO many outright errors.