Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 280C (non) election error

Fat Poutine
Level 3

I got this error from Proconnect when I checked NO for the 280c:

You must manually reduce applicable qualified research expenses deducted by $10,500 of research credit from Form 6765, Section A. Attach a schedule to the tax return that lists the deduction amounts (or capitalized expenses) that were reduced. Identify the lines (or schedule or form) of the return on which the reductions were made. US - Ref #377

I am reading 280(C), it says:

(2)Similar rule where taxpayer capitalizes rather than deducts expenses If—

(A)
the amount of the credit allowable for the taxable year under section 45C (determined without regard to section 38(c)), exceeds
(B)
the amount allowable as a deduction for the taxable year for qualified clinical testing expenses (determined without regard to paragraph (1)),
the amount chargeable to capital account for the taxable year for such expenses shall be reduced by the amount of such excess.

So my QRE is 105,000. Credit allowable for the year is 10,500, which does not exceed the deduction amount (also 10,500 for first year amortization of R&E expense). I am thinking that I do not need to manually adjust anything?   Do I still need to attach any statements?

If not, how do I get rid of this error?

0 Cheers