Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redact / Mask EFIN on electronic client copy of 8879 and 8878 (Federal and State forms)

JetDRV
Level 2

Please provide the option to "Redact / Mask / Prevent Display of" the tax preparer's Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) on the electronic client copy of Forms 8879 and 8878 (for both Federal and State e-file Signature Authorization forms).

The IRS requires the EFIN to be protected from theft (https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/how-to-maintain-monitor-and-protect-your-efin).

The completion of the current (as of Dec 2021) DocuSign e-signature process for the 8879 provides a copy of the signed 8879, with the EFIN clearly displayed and readable, into a client controlled DocuSign account (for the remote signature process). The completion of the in-person DocuSign e-signature process presents the option to send the 8879 with a readable EFIN to a client email account. 

The current e-signature/DocuSign process for the 8879 prevents the tax preparer / tax firm from protecting their EFIN from unauthorized disclosure (contrary to current IRS EFIN protection requirements).

Providing the option to "Redact / Mask / Prevent Display of" the EFIN on forms 8879 and 8878 (for both federal and state e-signature forms) prior to sending a copy to a client will enable tax preparers / tax firms the ability to continue protecting their EFIN from theft and/or unauthorized disclosure (in compliance with IRS requirements).

9 Comments 9
IntuitGabi

Changing to "Open for voting". Thank you! 

0 Cheers
mikespinner
Level 3

Has this problem been resolved.  I want to mask all sensitive data without a watermark.  This should be an option in the tools section.

0 Cheers
JetDRV
Level 2

The issue is still ongoing (not resolved) as of 2023-04-06.

A partial fix I have used for clients who electronically sign in-person at my office is to save the DocuSign signed 8879 as a PDF file, use the PDF highlighter tool (set to highlight with a wide black line) to line-out/redact/mask SSNs and EFIN/PIN entries so they are unreadable and send the redacted/masked 8879 file to the client via confidential email.

This does not work for remote signing clients as they are able to send themselves the 8879 with SSNs and EFIN/PIN fully visible immediately after they are finished signing it. The remotely signed 8879 form is also automatically saved in a client-controlled DocuSign account if they chose to set up an account with DocuSign after the signing process is complete. 

For the remote signing clients, I include a message in the 8879 e-signature email that the client agrees to maintain confidentiality of all information included in the 8879 form and not use, share and/or retain any data/information from the form for any purpose other than the electronic signature authorization process.

0 Cheers

I have purchased Adobe. It has a redact feature.

0 Cheers
JetDRV
Level 2

Upon further investigation, it appears ProConnect currently has the ability to mask SSNs on 8879s under File Return / Print / View/Print eSig Docs.

Under Print Options in the center of the screen, there is a slider button to "Mask SSN and add watermark". There is currently not an option to mask EFINs though. 

Unfortunately, Masking SSNs/EFINs is not currently available for the DocuSign documents in this same area (File Return / eSignature / Client Authorization eSignature). 

So, the ability to mask confidential data (SSNs, EFINs) is available in ProConnect. It would be great time saver if it could be implemented for the DocuSign eSignature documents (8879s and others) as well. 

Until anything gets updated in this area (which doesn't look likely at this point), I'll have to keep using Adobe to manually redact EFINs/SSNs from the DocuSign eSignature 8879 forms and other documents (like others have been doing) before sending them out to clients.

0 Cheers
accdred
Level 1

Sometimes I don't understand, it's like these people at Intuit don't listen and certainly none of them actually practice. They come up with all kinds of useless updated and so called new features that no one needs. Why is it so hard to mask EFINs and EINs? Pretty much every other software has this feature.

sjrcpa
Level 15

"it's like these people at Intuit don't listen and certainly none of them actually practice."

Bingo.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

"it's like these people at Intuit don't listen and certainly none of them actually practice."

Bingo.

Is it just "like" that?  I thought that's a proven fact, etched in stone, lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

I accept the correction!

Ex-AllStar