Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wash Sales

CTC
Level 3

I was able to import all of the transactions, but it appears that I need to change the basis on a few in order to account for some of the wash sales that could be used after 31 days. Some of the transactions should be able to use some of the basis affected by the wash sales. I though PTO would have calculated this but it doesn't seem to. Maybe there is something I need to mark to ensure it happens?

Everything matches the 1099-B.

Any ideas?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

So you are saying that you may need to adjust the Wash Sales because Fidelity may not have kept the books well. Do you really want to take responsibility for adjusting what a major financial brokerage gives as a full account of all the trades? Are you going to look into a sale of a mutual fund in November that gets a dividend in December that reinvests and creates a wash sale? 

I know I don't charge nearly enough to try to take on that job.

Just sayin!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you certain that the brokerage statement that you imported did not already make the wash sale adjustments?

CTC
Level 3

At the bottom of the Fidelity statement it says:

Cost or other basis provided may include adjustments including, but not limited to, dividend reinvestment, return of capital/principal, wash sale loss disallowed, amortization, accretion, acquisition
premium, bond premium, market discount, market premium, and option premium.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. It says MAY, so it could be either way.

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

So you are saying that you may need to adjust the Wash Sales because Fidelity may not have kept the books well. Do you really want to take responsibility for adjusting what a major financial brokerage gives as a full account of all the trades? Are you going to look into a sale of a mutual fund in November that gets a dividend in December that reinvests and creates a wash sale? 

I know I don't charge nearly enough to try to take on that job.

Just sayin!

CTC
Level 3

Thanks for the answer.

When you put it that way it makes sense and saves a lot of time.

As they say "time is money" and I never have enough of either!

0 Cheers