Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxable Income but no tax calculated

rob22usmc
Level 2

Hi all,

I’ve hit a block and I’m not quite sure where else to look. I have a MFJ couple who have a schedule C (net loss), couple W2’s, and some LTCG. Fed Taxable income is in the 35k ballpark, but there isn’t any tax getting calculated. I’ve doubled checked their details are entered MFJ (name, SSN, DOB, etc). Any suggestions on where I can look next? Thanks in advance 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
poolcleaner
Level 9

Check the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Worksheet and you will probably see that the capital gains and/or qualified dividends are not being taxed. Pleasant surprise for you and your clients!

Another Former All Star

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
poolcleaner
Level 9

Check the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Worksheet and you will probably see that the capital gains and/or qualified dividends are not being taxed. Pleasant surprise for you and your clients!

Another Former All Star

rob22usmc
Level 2

Yes I did see that they’re at the 0% LTCG tax bracket. Though I’m confused, because wouldn’t the income that doesn’t fall under capital gains such as ordinary income (W-2s), still be taxed at their respective tax bracket?

0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9

Follow the answers on Line 3 of that worksheet and you'll see that it the LTCG and Qualified Dividends that are in control of the worksheet.

BobKamman
Level 15

Not so pleasant surprise for the widows and orphans who have to pay more tax on their survivor pensions because rich people get a tax break on unearned income.