Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule C efile Limit

BadranAbdul
Level 1

How can I add more than 8 Schedule-C’s to a single individuals Federal Tax Return?

The system shows an 8 Schedule C limit?

Thank You

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

Maybe 8 is an efile limit?

Yes, the IRS e-file system is limited to 8 schedule Cs (well, at least it used to be ... I haven't checked the last couple of years).

So if there are more than eight Schedule Cs, it would need to be paper-filed.

Unless there are several Qualified Joint Ventures (two Schedule Cs per business), more than eight seems quite excessive.  You and the client may want to analyze things to see if any activities really should be combined into a business, if any activities really are a hobby, or if everything may want to be restructured (possibly looking into being taxed as a corporation).

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
abctax55
Level 15

If the system show a limit of 8 Schedule C's, then my guess would be you have to use different software.

I'm curious as to why so many Sch C's?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

This reminds me of the discussion earlier this year as to whether DoorDash and Lyft have to be shown on separate Schedules C.  So let's not even start that.  

abctax55
Level 15

That's sorta why I asked 'why'..... there's likely more to the story.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

@BadranAbdul 

Also, receiving >8 1099-NECs for the same type of service = 1 Schedule C, not >8.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

Just keep hitting the +  sign to add more. Here  is  a screen shot with 13 with no end in sight.  Like others have said - WHY? If your are doing one for each 1099, then WHY?

Sch C.png

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@sjrcpa wrote:

Yes, the IRS e-file system is limited to 8 schedule Cs (well, at least it used to be ... I haven't checked the last couple of years).

So if there are more than eight Schedule Cs, it would need to be paper-filed.

Unless there are several Qualified Joint Ventures (two Schedule Cs per business), more than eight seems quite excessive.  You and the client may want to analyze things to see if any activities really should be combined into a business, if any activities really are a hobby, or if everything may want to be restructured (possibly looking into being taxed as a corporation).

PATAX
Level 15

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania had (and maybe still has?) an E-file limit on the number of Schedule E forms. As Johnny Cochran would say: "If the E-filing is not a fit, then the client must paper transmit".