Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partnerships and Estimated Tax Payments

I think I know the answer but wanted to see if I am wrong here. First, I have a partnership and we record tax payments estimates as a debit to Equity (Tax Estimates) / Credit Cash. Is this actually considered an Owner Distribution? I was reading and it said that Tax Payments aren’t included in the calculation for Partner Capital M2 but then my balance sheet doesn’t balance in Schedule L. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Those estimated tax payments are distributions/draws.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

Are these state PTET payments?

State nonresident withholding payments?

Federal estimated tax payments for the Partners?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers

I suppose that would help! They are Federal Estimated Payments for the Partners

0 Cheers

What is also causing an issue is that my Schedule L capital is different than the M2 because of book to tax differences in depreciation (because Net Income is tax basis) and those payments. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Those estimated tax payments are distributions/draws.

Ex-AllStar

Do you also know if I should add the difference between the depreciation book to tax as part of an adjustment on the M2? Or just leave M2 and Schedule L capital balance different?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Nowadays we have different capital accounts on the 1065 balance sheet than on the K-1s. Book basis vs Tax basis.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers

Ok it’s just weird that the tax system ProConnet doesn’t automatically add that to the adjustment. But I get it. At least I got from your answer is the tax payments are indeed distributions. 

0 Cheers