Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client moved from CT to GA on 11/15/22. All W2 income from CT was earned while resident of CT. All W2 from GA earned in GA. CT form includes all Fed income - why??

mgirishfan
Level 2
GA state form properly only includes the W2 income from GA.  CT state form is pulling in all income - CT and GA.  How do I enter values in the CT part year resident screen to get this to calculate properly.  The system is not generating a CT SL1.
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitRebecca

Gotcha, I was using the W-2 input screen to source the amounts like this:

2023-03-22_10-20-50.png

Which produces this result on my CT-1040AW:

2023-03-22_10-21-45.png

Do you have similar selections for the state identifiers on Income > Wages, Salaries, Tips (W-2)? For box 1, in particular.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IntuitRebecca

These are the entries needed to generate the CT SI:

• on Client Information, make sure Resident State as of 12/31 is GA
  • Full Year Resident un-checked
  • Multi-State Return checked
  • on CT Part-Year/Nonres Info, make sure Date moved out of Connecticut is entered, and State of new residence is selected. 
  • on GA Part-Year/Nonres Info, make sure both a Part-year resident from and Part-year resident to date are entered. In this case the "to" would be 12/31.

Getting the CT-SI generated should also trigger the CT-1040AW where you can see the PY income allocation. 

0 Cheers
mgirishfan
Level 2

Thank you.  All information has been entered as you said.  On the GA part year, it's very clear - you actually enter the income earned in GA.  There is no such field on the CT part year form.  I am getting the CT 1040-AW but it's wrong.

Column A - Fed AGI - this is correctly populated with the Fed AGI

Column B (CT Resident Period) - this should be the CT income but it is blank

Column C (CT NonResident)- this is blank - should not this be the GA income?

Column D - CT source income during non resident period - this is correctly blank

The CT 1040NR is still showing the full Fed AGI instead of the CT portion.

What now?

Thanks!

Mare

IntuitRebecca

Gotcha, I was using the W-2 input screen to source the amounts like this:

2023-03-22_10-20-50.png

Which produces this result on my CT-1040AW:

2023-03-22_10-21-45.png

Do you have similar selections for the state identifiers on Income > Wages, Salaries, Tips (W-2)? For box 1, in particular.

0 Cheers
mgirishfan
Level 2

Thanks!  That was it - all good now!  Much appreciated!!

nbarnes
Level 1

Hello I have a return where client moved from SC to OH on 8/3/2023. All the W2 income is going to the OH return and not allocating it to the SC and OH return. I split out the amounts on the W2 input to include the proper totals for each state. I also broke out the amounts withheld for each state under the State withheld section. However the OH return continues to pull the entire Federal amount on the return. Help!

0 Cheers