Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

address for tax payments

staeb_cpa
Level 1

Good morning. My Idaho client is wondering why she is sending her federal tax owed to Ohio rather than CA as she has in the past. Do you know why?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

The form instructions say where to mail checks. Presumably the software is following the directions.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

Refer to Page 114 of Form 1040 instructions  available at IRS.gov

rbynaker
Level 13

Periodically the IRS changes the addresses based on work flow/staff availability.

One year, Virginia payments had to go to Fresno.  That seemed silly but just follow the directions and things should work out fine.

BobKamman
Level 15

Congress likes to fool stupid taxpayers into thinking they are cutting back IRS employment (and therefore the number of clerks who carry guns) by contracting out the work of opening envelopes and cashing checks to "private lockboxes" -- i.e., banks that bid on this work.  From time to time they get a better price by switching where the work is done.  

Once the check is cashed in Cincinnati (probably, across the river in Kentucky, but that's another story), the return will be shipped to Ogden, likely just down I-84 from your client.  And that's today's lesson in government efficiency.  

And, of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that Kentucky has two Republican senators and California has two Democratic senators.