Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R&D credit additional documentation

Fat Poutine
Level 3

I saw that there are additional documentation requirements for R&D tax credit claim. Does it apply to original return or amended return only? If it applies to original return. Where in proconnect would I be able to include the documentation?

Here are the additional documentation requirements:

For a research credit refund claim to be valid, a taxpayer must, at a minimum, follow these three steps:

1. Identify all business components to which its research credit claim relates for that year.
  2. For each business component, identify all research activities performed, all individuals who performed each research activity and all the information each individual sought to discover.
  3. Provide the total qualified employee wage expenses, total qualified supply expenses and total qualified contract research expenses for the claim year (for example, using Form 6765, “Credit for Increasing Research Activities”).
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
danandtaxes
Level 1

it only applies to amended returns.

See CCM 20214101F 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

What year return are you preparing or amending?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Fat Poutine
Level 3

2022 original return. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The documentation is required.

Attach as a pdf?

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

Are you capitalizing and amortizing the expenses?

Have you attached the statement in lieu of 3115?

Ex-AllStar
Fat Poutine
Level 3

Will do those, thanks for the reminder

Fat Poutine
Level 3

Would you also recommend upload the pdf of the statement in lieu of 3115? Or is there another/better way to do it?

0 Cheers
danandtaxes
Level 1

it only applies to amended returns.

See CCM 20214101F 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I stand corrected. I thought it applied to both amended returns and original returns filed after the date of the memorandum.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers