Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro Connect in Microsoft Edge

Ed Alexander
Level 1

Why does pro connect work in Chrome but not Edge?  These two browsers are identicle (both are Chromium and built from the same code). 

Is Google paying Intuit to block the Edge browser?

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
Ed Alexander
Level 1

Interesting that Pro Connect also does not load properly in Internet Explorer mode of Edge.  Both browsers are listed as compatible.  Seems Intuit is only running in Chrome and google controlled FireFox.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Firefox is not google controlled https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/faq/

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
George4Tacks
Level 15
If they were "identicle" then they would work indentically. Bottom line, they work on what they work on. ProConnect is limiting the number of variables they need to work on to keep the program safe and functioning.

Ed Alexander
Level 1

FireFox is a not for proffit that receives it's funding through "search" aggreements (i.e. Google is sole source of funding)

0 Cheers
Ed Alexander
Level 1

Chrome and Microsoft Edge use the same code under the covers.  Both are built from an open source project called Chromium.  Incidently, Pro Connect works fine in Edge if you change the user agent string to the same string used to identify Chrome ("Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/95.0.4638.54 Safari/537.36")

The only issue is that Intuit is not allowing the Edge user agent string to gain access.

0 Cheers
Ed Alexander
Level 1

Screenshot 2021-10-28 115302.jpg

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I was on the EDGE of my seat when I saw

Capture.JPG

Ed Alexander
Level 1

@support Any rational for blocking Edge?

0 Cheers
KPW
Level 2

When you try to login to Proconnect using MS Edge, you get a messag saying 

Sorry, ProConnect Tax Online doesn't support your browser.

Try using a more up-to-date browser from the list below:

Thanks for upgrading and keeping the web moving forward!

MY VERSION OF MS EDGE :   Version 97.0.1072.55 (Official Build) (64-bit)    /  My OS is Windows 10, but I am starting to evaluate whether to move to Windows 11.... 

But whats the DEAL ?!      According to this message it should work, right ?!

0 Cheers
KPW
Level 2

The error message itself says that Proconnect works with EDGE version 49 or higher... I have version 97 so why doesn't it work.... ?!?!

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

For what it's worth, Edge no longer works for me in this forum.  I can view posts ok, but posting is pretty much impossible.  Firefox works fine.  Sometimes you have to mess around a bit to find out what browser works with what you are trying to do.  Kinda sucks at times, but tax season kinda sucks at times too so who isn't used to that sucky feeling?

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15
KPW
Level 2

Edge doesn't work with ProConnect Tax Online, although the error message says any version over 48 should work. I have version 97.  The problem I am afraid is politics.  A wise man that headed up Ford Motor Company as Chairman and CEO in the 1990's, (Mr. Red Poling - God rest his sole) told me when I asked about politics and business, his answer was simply that "Both Republicans and Democrats buy cars".  Why alienate at least 1/2 your potential customer base. Can you say "Stupid!"?

Any business, entertainer, or athlete that looks to the public for revenue should consider keeping their politics out of it.  Unfortunately, some people are just too dumb for that.  I am very concerned that is what is going on with this situation, at least to some degree.  Tax software is not the only thing running on our computers and it is very irritating that the maker of the operating system platform's web browser doesn't work with ALL of Intuit's software. Does it all work on APPLE IOS? Makes me want to consider other options for tax software and QBO accounting as well. That could happen for me if this problem continues. I need a software service, but it doesn't have to be Intuit software service(s). Frankly I can't believe this problem is a problem. 

0 Cheers