Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical signature of form 8879 instead of e-signatures.

EddieO84
Level 2

Hi community, 

This is my first year with Proconnect, and I have a question that I'm trying to see if anybody can help me out with it. I know that I can send e-sign requests to my clients so they can sign form 8879, but can I have a client physically sign form 8879 and then upload them to the tax documents that are going to be e-filed instead of sending them a e-sign request?   

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Nothing is automatic.  You still need to enter the client's signature date at the very least (which is a manual entry and not a "click") and your client's PIN, if not computer generated.  Once all is done, it would be prudent to go through the diagnostics again to make sure you have an all-clear.

For anything related to tax law and regulatory process, I would also be hesitant to rely on what Intuit Support says because they are simply not training in tax (at least for most of them).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
abctax55
Level 15

Signed F-879's are for your files; they don't go to the IRS whether electronically sign or wet signed.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

So, the short answer is yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
EddieO84
Level 2

Oh okay! So, I went ahead and contacted Proconnect support and asked them the same question and they pretty much gave me the same answer that you gave me. So just to double check, as long as I click on "taxpayer's signature date" on the input screen, print out form 8879, have them sign it, I can go ahead and click on the e-file button assuming all other critical diagnostics have been cleared right?   

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Nothing is automatic.  You still need to enter the client's signature date at the very least (which is a manual entry and not a "click") and your client's PIN, if not computer generated.  Once all is done, it would be prudent to go through the diagnostics again to make sure you have an all-clear.

For anything related to tax law and regulatory process, I would also be hesitant to rely on what Intuit Support says because they are simply not training in tax (at least for most of them).

Still an AllStar
EddieO84
Level 2

Right. I also did read the instructions on form 8879 to see what the IRS says about the form. The instruction on the form pretty much says I keep a copy for my records, not to file it with the tax returns, and to have it available for at least 3 years in case the IRS requests it from me. So I think I have a better understanding of form 8879 now. I appreciate the help.  

EddieO84
Level 2

I was under the impression that form 8879 had to be e-filed with the rest of the return and that is what confused me. I just had to do a little bit more reading to understand the concept of form 8879. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Glad to know that what I told you last Friday was confirmed by Intuit Support (!) as well as the reading of the instructions as well as what @itonewbie (Jensen) had to say.  

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I thought that you had given a correct answer, but if Intuit support is providing the same answer I am second guessing if that really was correct  😜

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

D*mn....  I didn't think of that.  BUT, Jensen concurred so maybe we are OK??

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll have to think about since this goes against everything we know about Intuit support.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Hmm, now that you get me thinking... I'm starting to doubt my own answer. 🤣

Still an AllStar