Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ resident working in NYC

Tax-Preparer1
Level 2

Hello Proseries community, 

Thank you in advance for all your help i received from this forum. 

Got a situation where a high net worth couple moved, lived in NJ all of TY 2021, and I did remind them last year to tell their jobs about the move…. Not sure if they followed thru. The employer barely  withheld NJ state taxes only for one spouse. 

I did the NY return first, and used the NYS Wages income allocation tab to allocate their NY source income, then calculated their NY owed taxes.

Then I went to the NJ COJ return and made sure he was given a credit for what he paid NY. 

Is there any other advice to be aware of with a NJ resident working in NYC?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"They can’t get a credit for something they are also getting refunded to them right?"

Remember that "what they paid" is Prepayment against that tax form you are working on. That isn't Taxes Owed. There might be a balance due or a refund owed.

So, yes, they can get credit for something they Owe to another State (the tax, not the balance), even if that State has an overpayment and will send them their overpaid balance. And in some cases, and amount paid or refunded from one year is reportable in the next.

You have to work through the forms.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
qbteachmt
Level 15

"They can’t get a credit for something they are also getting refunded to them right?"

Remember that "what they paid" is Prepayment against that tax form you are working on. That isn't Taxes Owed. There might be a balance due or a refund owed.

So, yes, they can get credit for something they Owe to another State (the tax, not the balance), even if that State has an overpayment and will send them their overpaid balance. And in some cases, and amount paid or refunded from one year is reportable in the next.

You have to work through the forms.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Tax-Preparer1
Level 2

Thank you!

0 Cheers