Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new client did their own 1040 for 2020 but did not include their new Sch C business started in Oct which has an NOL for it's first year. Need to show for carryforward

tschlehr5885
Level 1
I'm trying to amend so they'll have their NOl carryfoward for 2021 but it's trying to offset their employment income from their regular jobs.  What am I missing?
Thank you.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

A "business loss" and "Net Operating Loss" are two different things.

If AGI is not negative, there is no NOL.  As you have seen, a business loss properly offsets any other income on the tax return.

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
sjrcpa
Level 15

They may not have an NOL. 

A Schedule C loss offsets other ordinary income. The excess loss becomes an NOL. I'm oversimplifying the NOL computation here but this is the gist.

Why'd they leave it off? Was it really an active business n 2020? Start up expenses are not deductible until operations begin.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p536

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
tschlehr5885
Level 1

Hi @sjrcpa   He as operational and fully registered (state and Fed) Sept 2020.  He wasn't profitable yet but I don't think it occurred to him to file a Sch C with his return.  In all honesty he also elected S Corp status in 2021 without understanding what that meant, so I'm cleaning things up for him.  He had a refund on his original 2020 return but he'll be profitable this year so I want him to get his NOL for 2020  to offset 2021 and for tax planning.  He only came to me recently.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"... get his NOL for 2020"

You have yet to document that there IS a NOL.  A loss on a Schedule C doesn't not automatically mean there is one.

Most professional software produces a worksheet/diagnostic showing the computation.  Do you see one when you input the original return into PTO?

If not, irs.gov has a worksheet for computing a possible NOL.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

A "business loss" and "Net Operating Loss" are two different things.

If AGI is not negative, there is no NOL.  As you have seen, a business loss properly offsets any other income on the tax return.

sjrcpa
Level 15

So it's an LLC?

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

👍

Susan - excellent mind reading; between the lines.  Have you been going to summer school?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
tschlehr5885
Level 1

Single member, yes.  At some point this year, and for whatever reason, he elected S-corp as of 2021.  No, I' not sure why.

0 Cheers
tschlehr5885
Level 1

Thank you @TaxGuyBill .  I know one business NOL can't offset another business positive income so, unfortunately, my mind was taking it another step as if ALL income is separate. Definitely overthinking it but it's been one of those clients lol.

Thanks again.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@tschlehr5885 wrote:

I know one business NOL can't offset another business positive income

Assuming you are talking about two Schedule C's, that is incorrect.  If one Schedule C has a business loss (again it is NOT a NOL), it CAN offset the positive income of the other Schedule C.