Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client transferred a rental property for $109. The Adj basis is $22750. Can they claim the loss? Do they need to file a gift tax return?

Transferred to unrelated party. Low Income Housing transferred to renter.
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

If I read this correctly, your client had a very nice tenant for a long time and they decided to sell the unit to them for a ridiculously low price. This is NOT deductible. You do need to file a gift tax return. 

IF you had given it to a low income housing group that was a not for profit, you would still not get the deduction, but you could take it as a charitable deduction. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
BobKamman
Level 15

The fact that you're asking suggests it wasn't an arm's-length transaction.  Girlfriends are unrelated parties too, but that doesn't mean you can't be generous with them.  

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I treat all my girlfriends as related.  But please don't tell my wife.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Or do you  mean you are generous with them?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

If I read this correctly, your client had a very nice tenant for a long time and they decided to sell the unit to them for a ridiculously low price. This is NOT deductible. You do need to file a gift tax return. 

IF you had given it to a low income housing group that was a not for profit, you would still not get the deduction, but you could take it as a charitable deduction. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

Or, the tenant could have trashed it so badly before he discovered that they were barbecuing goats in the living room, that he just needed to wash his hands of it before the city arrested him for being a slumlord.

0 Cheers

Thank you! I appreciate your response and filed the gift tax return.

0 Cheers