Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MT Fid-3 software problem

jpc
Level 1

Schedule C line 21f,  should show Non-Montana municipal income taxable to MT.  Instead, Proconnect enters the total tax-exempt income.  No amount of overrides or modifications will correct the number.  This issue creates a negative number in the Schedule C calculation.  No error message was issued, until I efiled the return & it was rejected.  I received this message:

Solution: Exempt interest income cannot be negative for electronic filing purposes. Please check your entries and resubmit.

Code: /ReturnState/ReturnDataState/SchCMTFID/MTAdjustedExemptInterestIncome

Proconnect software needs to be changed to input the correct amount on line 21f, or at least allow an override on line 21f.  An error message should have been generated before attempting to efile.  I spent several hours on the phone with support with no resolution.  I was finally told, I would have to figure this out myself.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

Entering it as Tax-Exempt Interest, put the TOTAL amount in Total municipal bonds then put the smaller MT exempt in In-state municipal bonds.  The same rule should apply to entering in Dividend Income. If this does not work, call support.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
jpc
Level 1

The interest is entered exactly as you described.  I called support twice.  The first call was disconnected after 45 minutes or so - with no resolution.  I called again & spoke with another person.  After an hour or so of trying to resolve the issue, she told me I would have to resolve the issue myself. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

In the General Information, toward the bottom, What do you have for Resident State?

I just did a dummy return and it worked exactly as it should. Sometimes gremlins sneak in. Delete all the entries giving you a problem. Exit the client. Go back into the client and enter the information again. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns