Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss in Sale of an investment property doesn't show up in 1040

Babak
Level 3

I'm trying to report a sale of an investment property (never rented out, never lived in it, never depreciated) at loss but whatever I do, the loss doesn't show up in 1040. I'm using Schedule D/4797. They have passive income too. How should I do it so they can deduct a portion of almost $23k loss?

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

You should not have any entries at all in the Sale of Home section if you have the sale of an investment property, rather than a primary residence. Once you remove all the entries, you won't have a diagnostic saying that your entries are incomplete.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
MAW
Level 2

If the asset has never been depreciated or used in a business transaction, you should not be using form 4797 and put the adjusted basis and closing cost and the sales price directly on the schedule D.  Also, make sure the gains from other investment income is not absorbing all of the loss.  Hope this helps.

Babak
Level 3

The client has only $10k in capital gain and this sale of house had a loss of $23K. I'm using proconnect and schedule D in proconnect looks like is only used for stock. Sorry that I may sound dumb but this is the first time I'm encountering this.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Schedule D is not only for stock. It is for the sale of any capital asset.

Ex-AllStar
Babak
Level 3

I did put it in Schedule D and it deducted $3000 limit and carried over the rest but got a critical Diagnostics saying I have to "trigger home sale exclusion computations, an entry is required on "sale of home" and when I do that, it removes the capital loss deduction of $3000 and the carry over amount turns Zero. Am I doing something wrong?

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

You should not have any entries at all in the Sale of Home section if you have the sale of an investment property, rather than a primary residence. Once you remove all the entries, you won't have a diagnostic saying that your entries are incomplete.

Babak
Level 3

Thank you so much, it worked.

0 Cheers