Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there something else that would cause a return to be rejected for name/SSN mismatch? Names and SSN have been verified multiple times.

abrownpa1979
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

If I have checked and double checked numerous times, I would consider paper file (that would not be preferable during these times). 

Have you looked at their SS cards? Is this a new client? If new and their efile went through last year, look at that prior return. 

abrownpa1979
Level 1

Yes this is a new client, however, it is my sister and brother in-law, so I know them well.  As I am just starting out, all but one client will be new this year.

I verified from the original SS cards and from last year's tax return, which is what has me stumped.  I checked for accidental spaces, random commas, other data entry errors; all to no avail. What makes it worse is that the error is on one of three dependents, it does not tell me which one. I even had the client review the 1040 and check the spelling and numbers just for a second set of eyes.  I do not understand why it would go through last year but not this year.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had one over 10 years ago, I could never get it to Efile, constant name/SSN mismatch, had to paper file, he was pissed...he never came back so I have no clue how it worked out for him the next year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@abrownpa1979 wrote:

Yes this is a new client, however, it is my sister and brother in-law, so I know them well.  As I am just starting out, all but one client will be new this year.

I verified from the original SS cards and from last year's tax return, which is what has me stumped.  I checked for accidental spaces, random commas, other data entry errors; all to no avail. What makes it worse is that the error is on one of three dependents, it does not tell me which one. I even had the client review the 1040 and check the spelling and numbers just for a second set of eyes.  I do not understand why it would go through last year but not this year.

If its for a dependent, the full Efile Rejection report should tell you which one...did you print it out?

Highlight the client in the EFCenter, then hit F12, in that window that opens choose Rejected returns and print it out.    I think it will show which dependent it is by number in [ ] like [1] would be the first dep listed, [2] would be the second.

If they have a double middle or double last name, IRS may have the wrong name as "last".

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪