Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone getting this Error Message: Form 2441, each "Identifying Number" provided must not be the same as the 'DependentSSN' in the return. Code: F2441-024 Any ideas?

m-m
Level 1
Numbers are not the same but still getting error
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

Did you omit to tell us the line number that should be in the diagnostic?

My hunch is that you have created two separate entries on Line 2 for the same dependent with the same SSN, trying to match each line with a different provider on Line 1, when you only need to have one single line for the dependent by aggregating the qualified expenses.

FWIW, the Rule-Number you cited is not among those published by the IRS: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/f2441_br.pdf

Hoping to get some extra credits from this answer for my Friday mind reading class so that I don't flunk the semester...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
m-m
Level 1

This is the error message and solution but identification number of provider is not the spouse or a dependent. Line 1 e has one entry and line 2 c has one entry. One provider and one dependent with child care expenses.

Error Message: Form 2441, each "Identifying Number" provided must not be the same as the 'DependentSSN' in the return.

Solution: Please review your Form 2441 input and ensure that the identifying number of the provider is not that of the spouse.

Code: F2441-024

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

The error description does not quite match the suggested solution.

The error clearly refers to the dependent's SSN.  But the suggested solution refers to the provider's SSN being the same as the spouse's (which should trigger F2441-001 instead).

Haven't seen this happen.

In this case, I'd suggest deleting the provider from F.2441 and creating a new entry for the provider.  If that still doesn't eliminate the error, I'd do the same with the qualified dependent.

@IntuitRebecca Would you be able to shed some light on this strange error as well as the apparent inconsistency between the error message and suggested solution?  As mentioned in my earlier post, this is not among the rules that are published by the IRS.  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IntuitRebecca

Hmm, I can't say that I've seen this rejection before. Other than what you've already reviewed, could you check if there's an entry for prior year expenses?

On the Dependent Care Credit (2441) > Children, Dependents screen, click the General Information link in blue at the top right. 

Do you have an SSN entered here that matches any on the return (taxpayer, spouse, or dependent)?

2022-04-21_14-46-23.png

0 Cheers