Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a way to allow my clients to download and print their own tax returns. Can LINK do this for me?

Rox
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Notice from your previous questions that you use PTO.  If that is the case, you can share the return with your clients by clicking through the following.  The drawback is that you won't see a record of what has been shared and you can't retract that if something is wrong.  For that reason, my personal preference is to use the "Act as taxpayer" function (which I normally don't recommend out of compliance concerns due to the lack of audit trail) to post the return(s) under Document Checklist.

File Return > Print > View/Print Return PDF > Share PDF Via Link.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

Notice from your previous questions that you use PTO.  If that is the case, you can share the return with your clients by clicking through the following.  The drawback is that you won't see a record of what has been shared and you can't retract that if something is wrong.  For that reason, my personal preference is to use the "Act as taxpayer" function (which I normally don't recommend out of compliance concerns due to the lack of audit trail) to post the return(s) under Document Checklist.

File Return > Print > View/Print Return PDF > Share PDF Via Link.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Rox
Level 3
Is there a life-span to this link for the client?
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
So far, prior year data in Link is accessible so long as you have a current year subscription.

I would not, however, use it as a medium for storing client data or as an archive because you're at the mercy of Intuit, which may change their policy any time, and there is no backup/restoration service per se although Intuit does backup what's on their server(s) for their own purpose.
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes, Link is a client portal of sort, which allows you to collaborate with your clients.  Not only can you use it to collect client data, you can also use it to share documents with clients, including copies of returns they can download and print.  The process for sharing returns varies depending on the tax product you use.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers