Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I"m having problems trying to figure out on Statement 1 the Form 1116 adjustments. Where are the amounts coming from

jfarmercpa
Level 2

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

We can't see your statements, so, we can't tell you what that is.

In any case, it would be highly unusual for statements for F.1116 to be numbered 1.

If I were to read your mind, I think you meant either Line 1a or Line 16.

More likely, you're asking about Line 1a because Line 16 generally requires user input from offline computations.

If it's really Line 1a, then, you could be looking at adjustments for qualified dividends and capital gains.  These adjustments mathematically restore parity between limitation figured based on the highest marginal tax rate of 37% vs. capital gains being subject to lower preferential rates.  There would also be corresponding adjustments on Line 18 for the denominator.

You can refer to F.1116 instructions for a more detailed discussion of these (and the adjustments on Line 16, which are much more involved technical subject matters that you will need to compute offline).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

We can't see your statements, so, we can't tell you what that is.

In any case, it would be highly unusual for statements for F.1116 to be numbered 1.

If I were to read your mind, I think you meant either Line 1a or Line 16.

More likely, you're asking about Line 1a because Line 16 generally requires user input from offline computations.

If it's really Line 1a, then, you could be looking at adjustments for qualified dividends and capital gains.  These adjustments mathematically restore parity between limitation figured based on the highest marginal tax rate of 37% vs. capital gains being subject to lower preferential rates.  There would also be corresponding adjustments on Line 18 for the denominator.

You can refer to F.1116 instructions for a more detailed discussion of these (and the adjustments on Line 16, which are much more involved technical subject matters that you will need to compute offline).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
jfarmercpa
Level 2

Thank you for this explanation.  After I posted this I did go the instructions.  I have a client that wants to know what makes up these #'s.  

itonewbie
Level 15

@jfarmercpa So, was that Line 1a you were asking about?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
jfarmercpa
Level 2

yes it was.  Thank you!