Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get Schedule D to correctly show that Form 8949 type is D (basis reported to IRS).

MVH
Level 2

I have a client with a 1099-B that is all 0s, but the attached Form 8949 DOES have info that shows up for a single sale. I have followed the instructions for entering it, but no matter what I put into the Basis Reported field, I can't get Schedule D to correctly show that Form 8949 type is D (basis reported to IRS). 

I've entered the sale details, but when I leave the Basis Reported field blank it show up in line 8a. When I put in a 1 = Basis not reported, it puts the info in line 9 (for Box E checked). When I put in a 2 = not on 1099-B (which is accurate), it puts it in line 10 (for Box F checked).

None of the choices put the information in line 8b Form(s) 8949 with Box D checked, but Box D is, in fact, the box that it is in on Form 8949

What do I need to do to get it to put this in line 8b, as it should be?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

8a is a correct presentation. If you REALLY need to have it in 8b then click the Carryovers/Misc Info in the upper right  and scroll down the last entry and enter a 1 = yes.

8a Totals for all long-term transactions reported on Form
1099-B for which basis was reported to the IRS and for
which you have no adjustments (see instructions).
However, if you choose to report all these transactions
on Form 8949, leave this line blank and go to line 8b .

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

8a is a correct presentation. If you REALLY need to have it in 8b then click the Carryovers/Misc Info in the upper right  and scroll down the last entry and enter a 1 = yes.

8a Totals for all long-term transactions reported on Form
1099-B for which basis was reported to the IRS and for
which you have no adjustments (see instructions).
However, if you choose to report all these transactions
on Form 8949, leave this line blank and go to line 8b .

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns