Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to file 1042-S income code 29 to schedule NEC

survive8
Level 2

I'm filing form 1040NR, and received form 1042-S. The income code is 29 deposit interest, and gross income $12, and no tax withholding. Should I report the interest income from 1042-S to Schedule NEC, rather than line 9a taxable interest on page 1 of form 1040NR? If yes, according to the instruction of form 1040NR, the interest from a US bank is generally exempt from the 30% tax. On form 1042-S, both tax rate of 3b and 4b are "00.00. Hence, I input 0% to "Other Percentage 1" and input $12 to "Interest - Other". Then, there is two critical diagnostics. No. 1 is "for efile purposes, the tax rate on Form 1040NR, page, Schedule NEC, column (d) must be greater than 10% when the country of residence for the year is China and an amount is present on line 2c of the same column". No. 2 critical diagnostics is "for efile purposes, if there is not a Form 1042-S with an income code '01' or '07', the tax rate on form 1040NR, page 4, schedule NEC, column (d) must be greater than 30% when an amount if present on line 2c of the same column. Does anyone can help me how to solve these two diagnostics? Thank you very much for your help! 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Correct.

If the response above solved your problem, please consider marking it a solution for the benefit of others who may have similar questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

Deposit interest received by an NRA is not taxable under §871(i) unless it is ECI.  It doesn't need to be reported on Sch NEC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
survive8
Level 2

Thank you for your prompt response. So don't I need to report this interest income in form 1040NR?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Correct.

If the response above solved your problem, please consider marking it a solution for the benefit of others who may have similar questions.

Still an AllStar