Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with the state tax return when someone has a rental property in DC

workhard2022
Level 3

This is an individual tax return (form 1040) question.

Taxpayer background:  Married couple who files their form 1040 as married filing jointly. They are Maryland residents, they have W-2 income, capital gain, and rental income in 2023. They have a rental property in DC(they received rental income in 2023) and the property is under the couple's name. 

My question is what needs to be done/filed regarding their DC rental property?  I am not sure if I only need to file the form D-30 SUB Unincorporated Business Franchise Tax Return for this situation.  or do they need to file any DC state return?

Thank you for your help!

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

This should answer your question...

https://dlcp.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/DLCP/publication/attachments/OTR%20Rental%20Propert...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
workhard2022
Level 3

This couple's rental income from the DC property is above $12000. So, they will need to file form D-30 (Unincorporated Franchise tax return). In addition, this taxpayer needs to file a Personal Property Tax return (FP-31).   These two should be all the filing requirements regarding their DC rental property, right?  

Thank you so much for your help!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes, for taxes.

Then there may be licensing, inspection, clean hands certificate, etc. But not your problem.

Ex-AllStar