Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid backdoor Roth IRA taxable on NJ return?

workhard2022
Level 3

In 2023, A taxpayer had a backdoor Roth IRA of $6,016. She also had another $6,000 early withdrawal from her Roth. I entered the information into Proconnect based on her two Form 1099-R (one from a traditional IRA, another one from Roth IRA) and it shows nontaxable on the federal return, but it shows these $12,016 are taxable on the NJ return (Line 20a/Taxable pensions, annuities, and IRA distributions/ withdrawals (See instructions)). 

How do I fix this in the Proconnect so these $12,016 won't be taxable on NJ return?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
qbteachmt
Level 15

On the 1099-R entry, did you follow the data and enter basis (form 8606)?

The backdoor conversion only is "backdoor" because it would be conversion from a nondeductible Trad IRA contribution, done nearly immediately after making the contribution. If this taxpayer had other funds in Trad IRA, SEP IRA or SIMPLE IRA, other than basis, that isn't Backdoor; it's pro rata taxable.

The same is true for that distribution; early means penalty. Did it meet the 5-year qualification? Were there other contributions (other than the conversion), or is that the "same" $6k? Roth distributions have an ordering rule for determining what came out first:

(1) IRA participant contributions, (2) taxable conversions, (3) non-taxable conversions, and (4) earnings. Roth ordering rules only apply when a withdrawal from an account is a non-qualified distribution.

You can review if you checkmarked or otherwise noted everything that applies to each event. Take them separately.

I see this is where they should end: "If you convert a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, any amount from the existing IRA that would be taxable if withdrawn must be included in your income on Line 20a, Form NJ-1040 or Line 22, Column A, Form NJ- 1040NR. Residents must also report the excludable portion of the converted IRA on Line 20b, Form NJ-1040."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers