Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to amend filing status from MFS to MFJ

skyworks
Level 5

Hi,

I have a new client will be filed MFJ return for 2022.

The couple filed MFS for last 2-3 years. My question is that how do I amend MFS returns for the last 2-3 years?

Do I just enter one of the couple's MFS return in the system then add the other couple's number together as base to compare MFJ?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

Yes. Pick one of these scenarios

1. Historically, make the male the taxpayer
  2. Go rogue and make the female the taxpayer
  3. Gay couple, pick the one with the most data and put them in first place

Regardless of choice, make one person the taxpayer and get their return to match what was filed. Then start the process to create an amended return. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
skyworks
Level 5

Ok, thanks.

Make the husband taxpayer, get their return to match what was filed for the husband, then how to add the wife's return? 

I assumedn need add wife's income and tax to the base return before to create an amended return. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/federal-taxes/amend-individual-return-1040x...

Create one of the returns to match what was filed is the #1 job. Once that is done go to the instructions to set the Amendment "flags" and create column 1 of the X. THEN input all the spouse information, adding S to ID as Spouse.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns