Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you set up a taxpayer to paper file?

John-Harrison
Level 1

The Pro Connect instructions refer me to the taxpayer profile and make an edit to unmark the state tax efile box, but I can't find anything there to paper file.  IRS is mailing my EFIN letter so I can efile, but no telling how long it will take to get that.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

First question is whether you are covered by the mandate.  If you realistically expect to prepare at least 11 return a year, you will be required to e-file.

If you will prepare more than 10 returns but need to file a return before receiving your EFIN, it is not clear whether your case will be eligible for administrative exemption described in Notice 2011-26, which does not specify that pending approval of EFIN (except for those who are under IRS sanction) will qualify.

If you believe your case is eligible for exemption, you will be required to file F.8948 with the returns you prepare.  Input sheet for the form can be found in the following section under the left panel:

* General / e-file PDF/Miscellaneous (e-file Misc) / Form 8948 Preparer Explanation for Not Filing Electronically

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

First question is whether you are covered by the mandate.  If you realistically expect to prepare at least 11 return a year, you will be required to e-file.

If you will prepare more than 10 returns but need to file a return before receiving your EFIN, it is not clear whether your case will be eligible for administrative exemption described in Notice 2011-26, which does not specify that pending approval of EFIN (except for those who are under IRS sanction) will qualify.

If you believe your case is eligible for exemption, you will be required to file F.8948 with the returns you prepare.  Input sheet for the form can be found in the following section under the left panel:

* General / e-file PDF/Miscellaneous (e-file Misc) / Form 8948 Preparer Explanation for Not Filing Electronically

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers