Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you recharacterize a 1099R coded incorrectly as a taxable distribution when it was truly a rollover?

AnmarieA
Level 4
I worked with Live Chat rep and they could not make the software work to show the improperly coded distribution as non taxable.
0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

The 1099-R is not coded incorrectly; it is coded for what this Issuer knows.

If the taxpayer then rolled it, it's up to the preparer to enter the 1099-R as issued, then mark that it was rolled per qualifications. Was it rolled including compensating for withholding?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
AnmarieA
Level 4

So where do I indicated rolled per qualifications? Where in the software does it allow you to record that it is not taxable. Their financial advisor informed me that the funds were a trustee to trustee transfer and the Client never had access to the money. Nevertheless how do you make the transaction NON taxable in the software as the -1 in taxable does not work and chat could not assist me on making it work?

0 Cheers
AnmarieA
Level 4

I figured it out and kept the 1099-R as issued and then indicated an indirect rollover. 

Thanks for your assistance!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Put a zero in the "taxable" box.

Mark the box that says "rollover".  

Explain in a footnote and/or using Form 8275 depending on the circumstances.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

For future reference: "and then indicated an indirect rollover"

What you have is a Direct Rollover = a Transfer between trustees.

Indirect = the taxpayer had possession and access, in between the moving between accounts of a similar type. That's why I asked about withholding.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers