Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove the CARES Act diagnostic for an Indiana return? ITO says to use the current year conformity add-back field, but none of the options are for CARES Act

The full diagnostic message is "Certain medical reimbursement exclusions (under section 3702 of the CARES Act) are not recognized in Indiana, and therefore should be excluded from Indiana gross income.  Use the Current Year Conformity add-back field in the Indiana modifications screen to make an entry."  I added a few modifications, but cannot clear the diagnostic.
0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

What happens if you just ignore it? It is likely an informational diagnostic.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers

Thanks - I will try that.  It's a critical diagnostic, so sometimes the software does not allow the return to be processed.  I can't file for a while because some information is not available.  I was just trying to get this part resolved.  I'll click ignore for now.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

It is tough to get state specific answers here, as the responses are from other users. If you still need help contact Support https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-settings/contact-proconnect-...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers

I've tried to find a way to open a chat window several times and keep coming back to the same "post your question to the community" button

Last year I was able to open a chat with support and it was great, but now that does not seem to be an option even though the screens indicate there is a way to do it

0 Cheers
EHalvorson
Level 2

It appears that Indiana did not follow the CARES act Section 3702 until later.

I'm not judging Indiana but...

D. Treatment of Menstrual Care Products Section 3702 of the CARES Act provides various changes related to menstrual care products, retroactive to Dec. 31, 2019. For purposes of this discussion, the definition of menstrual care products under IRC § 223(d)(2)(D), which applies to tampons, pads, and similar products, will be used. Under the Internal Revenue Code as in effect on Jan. 1, 2020, Indiana did not adopt the exclusion from income for health plans under IRC § 106 or the exclusion from income for health savings accounts under IRC § 223. However, Indiana will permit the income exclusion for such distributions provided under federal law retroactively pursuant to the updated Internal Revenue Code conformity date of March 31, 2021.

I ignored the error when it came up on my return. (Although I'm TOTALLY going to be buying Menstrual care products with my HSA card from now on. My wife and daughters power through those like they grow on trees.)