Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i lock my return when there's no "lock" option? It is a 2021 return.

sunshinebk
Level 2
I need to amend my return, but there is no option to amend, lock, or unlock the return. When I first efiled the return, it locked, but I had to unlock it to efile the CA LLC form, and then again to efile the DC UBIT form. The DC UBIT form was rejected, so I need to amend it. But when I try to follow the instructions, there is no "amend" option in the pulldown.
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Not sure if I follow.  If DC UBIT was rejected, why would your return be locked?

Didn't you create the CA LLC and DC UBIT before efiling the federal return?  If so, the return shouldn't be locked until all the returns were efiled and accepted.

If you had previously chosen to unlock a return that was efiled for amendment, you would have been given an option to create a copy that is denoted "ORIGINAL".  That is the exact copy of the return that was efiled and that is not the one you should use to amend the return.  Under EFILE STATUS for this "ORIGINAL", there shouldn't be any notation at all.

You should be using the one that doesn't show a lock and has the correct EFILE STATUS to amend the return.

If this is not what it is, you should contact Support to have them look into that return for you.

You can always create a copy and use the new copy for the amendment but that will cost you another credit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

Not sure if I follow.  If DC UBIT was rejected, why would your return be locked?

Didn't you create the CA LLC and DC UBIT before efiling the federal return?  If so, the return shouldn't be locked until all the returns were efiled and accepted.

If you had previously chosen to unlock a return that was efiled for amendment, you would have been given an option to create a copy that is denoted "ORIGINAL".  That is the exact copy of the return that was efiled and that is not the one you should use to amend the return.  Under EFILE STATUS for this "ORIGINAL", there shouldn't be any notation at all.

You should be using the one that doesn't show a lock and has the correct EFILE STATUS to amend the return.

If this is not what it is, you should contact Support to have them look into that return for you.

You can always create a copy and use the new copy for the amendment but that will cost you another credit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
sunshinebk
Level 2

I think your logic is correct. I got help from Intuit and I was able to do what I needed to do. Actually, since the UBIT return was rejected, I don't think I even need to amend it. But I got confused when I went to the pulldown, and none of the options, "lock," "unlock," or "amend" were there.

I think it is problematic that, in order to efile the CA LLC and DC UBIT returns, we have to keep unlocking the return. Intuit should work on that.

Thanks for your response.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @sunshinebk!  Enjoy your weekend, if you can.  Cheers!

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers