Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter capital gains for a a JTWROS asset that is not held by spouses? Thank you!

anne
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

1/2 on each person's return

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
sjrcpa
Level 15

1/2 on each person's return

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8

More complicated that you would expect, depends on they type of asset, who contributed the funds initially, and state law regarding severability, among other factors.

For example in a situation in which a child was added to a brokerage account of a parent, and the child had contributed no money nor made any withdrawals.  The parent would report all gains.

0 Cheers
anne
Level 1
This is land purchased in 2016 and sold in 2018.  From what I understand, I need to report the full amount fo gain on the return I am doing with an off-set for the amount that is attributed to the other individual.  I am not sure where to enter the off-set information within ProConnect.  Thank you!
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Why do you think you need to report the full amount on the return you are doing? If it was jointly owned the sale paperwork is in both owners' names.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
anne
Level 1
http://www.hackeraccounting.com/how-a-joint-bank-account-could-affect-your-taxes/ is representative of what I have found.  If this is incorrect, that would be great!  Thanks so much, Anne
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
If you feel you must - record the entire land sale on Sch D/8949. Then do a second "sale" called Amount reported by Joint Owner that results in 1/2 the gain being subtracted

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@anne was there a 1099S issued with your SSN?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Thanks. I forgot about that O.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15