Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i add a statement to a state return? I need to put in an explanation for no NY source income

lhickey
Level 1

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

Why do you need an explanation?

Are you dealing with someone who telecommutes with a NY employer?

If it's not a telecommuter and NY wages were reported erroneously on a W-2, wouldn't having a W-2C issued be a better and more appropriate alternative?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Btw, statements you attach would not get processed or reviewed.  They're there just for the peace of mind in case someone opens the return for a random audit or something at a later time.

If you send in a NY return with $0 wages when there's a state W-2, chances are, your client will get a nastygram.

I'd rather **bleep** it in the bud than to have my client get a notice, which would cost time, money, and stress on your client's part to resolve.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

I have clearly forgotten.  The big brother here censors innocent, harmless words like  N I P.

I really ought to take out my thesaurus from long ago to learn a few new words so that I can better express myself without stepping on the toes of the big brother's censorship.

Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

They were just trying to help you get something off your chest!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
itonewbie
Level 15

George, you're bad! 😉

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

THANK YOU!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns