Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I generate Form 8949 part 2? I see part one in my forms but the full form is not populating.

Charles Schwab account
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

The program is doing thing as they should be. The 8949 is not required for "covered" transactions. If you really want to use more pixels and/or paper and see a single line that really does not say much on the 8949, then you must:

Go to Dispositions

in the upper right click Carryovers/Misc Info

Scroll down to the  bottom entry and input a 1

When you are done, spend a bit of time with the instructions for Schedule D. In particular  the paragraph in the lower left of the first page with a link for Lines 1a and 8a

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
George4Tacks
Level 15

You get part 2 by indicating that the basis is NOT reported

If you imported, then you need to make that entry for every unreported basis - royal pain!

But it was reported to the IRS, I need box D checked and it isn’t populating. Only Part 1

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

For box D, you need purchase date and sale date to be a year and a day apart or more. It also needs to indicate that the basis is reported. 

I misspoke in my earlier post. How many transactions do you have? 

I have numerous lines but I was just going to enter the totals so it is only one line. To enter that the basis is reported I leave it blank but it still isn’t transferring to the part 2.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

What purchase dates are you using? Page 2 is all  long term. Try this:

Purchase date -01/01/00

Sales date -01/02/21

(Notice the minus) this should print as various and give you long term

0 Cheers

Yeah, I just tried that it still just isn't regenerating. I don't know what else to try.

0 Cheers

Do you think it is a larger issue?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

If you look at Schedule D, are there amounts on lines 8a, b, 9 or 10?

If so which line numbers have figure.

Yes it is the same amounts that I need to show up on the 8949 Part 2. Amount are only show on part 8a.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

The program is doing thing as they should be. The 8949 is not required for "covered" transactions. If you really want to use more pixels and/or paper and see a single line that really does not say much on the 8949, then you must:

Go to Dispositions

in the upper right click Carryovers/Misc Info

Scroll down to the  bottom entry and input a 1

When you are done, spend a bit of time with the instructions for Schedule D. In particular  the paragraph in the lower left of the first page with a link for Lines 1a and 8a

0 Cheers

I just didn't want to incorrect report the long term transactions, but I think this helps!

0 Cheers