Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home office depreciation not showing on 8829

janetk
Level 2

The home is entered on depreciation but it is showing the deduction is 0. Why will it not deduct depreciation? The business has a loss but it still should show on depreciation schedule and 8829 right?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

In short, did you link the asset(s) to F.8829?  If so, it will compute the depreciation, flow it to F.8829, and show the unallowed expenses that would be carried over to 2024.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

If your client is not allowed home office (a loss) why would you file the 8829, or show any expenses. It will carry over to next year, if you did not take the simplified method

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Wouldn't you file it so you can show the carryover to next year?

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@sjrcpa I agree with you, and I misspoke in the above answer

itonewbie
Level 15

How are you reporting the income and expenses?  On Sch C?  If so, did you link the asset to the activity?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

In short, did you link the asset(s) to F.8829?  If so, it will compute the depreciation, flow it to F.8829, and show the unallowed expenses that would be carried over to 2024.

Still an AllStar
janetk
Level 2

That fixed it! I didn't have it linked to the 8829. Thanks!

itonewbie
Level 15

NP, @janetk.  If the response solved your question, please consider marking it the solution to help others who may have similar questions in the future.  Cheers!

Still an AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@itonewbie It let me mark your answer as solution. Didn't think it would 😁

0 Cheers