Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8834 Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit- I get a diagnostic that I can't eFile with this override. How do I get past this and efile?

bothherbsg
Level 1
I entered the credit as override as instructed by the FAQ's, and attached the PDF completed form. Maybe there's a code for that attachment that will clear this?
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

8936 - See this for input

ev2.JPGEV1.JPG

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you doing a pass through of the credit? You should not be doing an override. The number should flow from the K-1.

If you are doing a return for someone who purchased a new vehicle, you have the wrong form. 

0 Cheers
bothherbsg
Level 1

What is the right Form for someone who purchased a vehicle (not a pass-thru credit)?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I started to google:

Form 8834

and it filled in the rest: vs 8936

And it gives great results, including:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/going-green/what-is-tax-form-8834-for-qualifying-electric-vehic...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
bothherbsg
Level 1

Unfortunately, Form 8834 deals with another type of credit, and has a $2,500 max. The vehicle my client purchased is eligible for the $7,500 credit. Form 8936 is the only form I can find that deals with that credit level. Thank you anyway!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

8936 - See this for input

ev2.JPGEV1.JPG

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Form 8834 deals with another type of credit, and has a $2,500 max. The vehicle my client purchased is eligible for the $7,500 credit. Form 8936 is the only form I can find that deals with that credit level. Thank you anyway!"

What? We are trying to tell you that your original Title is the wrong form. You asked about 8834. You won't use 8834.

It's not unfortunate. It's a correction to your intent.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
bothherbsg
Level 1

That's the ticket - thank you SO much!

0 Cheers