Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1042-S received by an expat

Ame1
Level 1

Hello,

"Form 1042-S is not supported in the e-file of Form 1040. This return must be filed on paper."

I have this diagnostic in ProConnect. Can I just paper file the return instead without having an issue on the return?

I am filing for Form 1040, but I received a Form 1042-S for the reason that the payor has my foreign address. The withholding on form 1042-s did flow on the Form 1040, however, the income did not. Is it just right that the income did not floe on the Form 1040 but the withholding did?

Thank you in advance.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

No that is not right. Enter the income where you would enter if it was on a 1099 - interest, dividend, etc.

You'll need to file on paper. Attach the 1042-S. Expect mishandling and/or delay. Is it enough withholding to worry about?

Have client file the correct paperwork with payor so they get a 1099 instead of 1042-S.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
sjrcpa
Level 15

No that is not right. Enter the income where you would enter if it was on a 1099 - interest, dividend, etc.

You'll need to file on paper. Attach the 1042-S. Expect mishandling and/or delay. Is it enough withholding to worry about?

Have client file the correct paperwork with payor so they get a 1099 instead of 1042-S.

Ex-AllStar