Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing status different for State (IA)

gregandrews
Level 2

I can't find where I can choose a filing status for IA - which can be different than Federal. It seems from comments that there's a place to do this, but can't locate it.

Possible that I've already made an entry - because IA status is already different on this carried over from 2020 return. But I need to check it both ways, and looking for where this entry is made.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

I believe it is in the Miscellaneous under the tab for your state. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
gregandrews
Level 2

Thanks. It helped to know that a) it's there somewhere and b) the word "Miscellaneous" and "your state" are word that can lead you to the field that controls state filing status.

I found it under "General" / "Misc Info/Direct Deposit" - where there's a tab along the top for the State (in my case "IA"). 

There were a long list of items for Iowa there, including a "Filing Status" field allowing a choice between MFJ and MFSC (married filing separate on a combined return).. This was the choice I was looking for. It looks like the software automatically chose the best - MFSC - but in the past I've found it important to check which filing method works best in Iowa.