Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed a protective extension but client ended up not having a filing requirement.

trip0d123
Level 2

I was curious if you file an extension with the IRS and then end up not having a filing requirement and therefore do not file a return, will the IRS send a notice that a return needs to be filed?  

I appreciate any wisdom on this topic, thanks!

Eric

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

You have already used the credit. File the return to insure the ID is not used to file a fraudulent return.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
trip0d123
Level 2

Thanks for the answer, this happened to be a business partnership return so probably less fraud chance on that type of return.  I just didn't want to have the client go through signing a return that wasn't needed to be filed.  I am on the phone with IRS now to see what they have to say.  

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I have seen that happen, but not for the last five years at least.  The last thing IRS has wanted to do the past few years was send out more notices asking for more paperwork.  I don't like charging fees for unnecessary work, but others may thrive on that approach.  

0 Cheers
trip0d123
Level 2

Thank you for the response, I did just speak with an IRS representative and they said they won't be looking for a return or be sending any notices to extension that then don't have a return as long as there was no filing requirement or income reported to the IRS and not matched on a return.

sjrcpa
Level 15

And you know how reliable that phone conversation is.

I have occasionally/rarely seen IRS send a notice asking "Where's that return you filed an extension for?" 

Personally I would not file a return. If a letter comes reply with no return was required.

No harm in filing a zero return, though.

Ex-AllStar
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

For a partnership, which has a $$$ per partner per month potential penalty, I would file that sucker. Mark it final if that's the case.

BobKamman
Level 15

Not to confuse those who think "gross proceeds" is the same as "gross income," any more than they already are, but these days there are some people who may have a capital loss worth carrying over to a better year.  And of course, at least filing a return means IRS has the current address for rebates during the next pandemic.  

0 Cheers