Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message Code: F8962-070

freshy70
Level 3
I got this message when e-filing for a client:
Error Message: The e-File database indicates that Form 8962 or a binary attachment with description containing "ACA Explanation" must be present in the return.

Solution: The IRS rejected this return due to missing information regarding the Advance Premium Tax Credit. The IRS' internal database indicates that a Form 1095-A should have been or will be received by the taxpayer. The ACA Marketplace providers have until 1/31/22 provide the 1095-A to taxpayers.

Code: F8962-070

He says he never used the insurance marketplace. Anyone else have this issue?
0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
rosemarie
Level 2

I received the same error message code F8962-070.  My client did not use the insurance marketplace either.  Did you ever receive a solution?  I can't seem to find the reply.

0 Cheers
freshy70
Level 3

Yes I did figure it out. He was on his parents insurance so that's why his SSN was flagged. You have to get the parent's 1095-A and the primary policy holders full SSN. Then you check the box on the Premium Tax Credit tab "other taxpayer will reconcile all APTC paid and this taxpayer is not taking the PTC (tax family size = 0)"

On the next tab you have to complete "Shared Policy Allocation (Form 8962, Part IV)"

rosemarie
Level 2

Thanks so much for your reply.  He was on his parents insurance for January even though he was also covered by his employer's health plan, so that's what threw me off.  There was no matching SSN issue in 2020 because the premium tax credit was not required to reconciled, due to the pandemic, etc. so I didn't get this message last year either. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rosemarie wrote:

He was on his parents insurance for January even though he was also covered by his employer's health plan,

It seems likely that you need to adjust the SLCSP on the 1095-A because of that (on whoever's return is claiming any of the 1095-A percentages).

0 Cheers
870ELaxxN
Level 2

YES I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM, EVEN AFTER ATTACHING THE 8965 ACA EXPLAINATION AND IT STILL REJECTS.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@870ELaxxN What year are you filing this 8965 for? Are you sure you even need to file it? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers