Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering sale of Schedule C asset

Babak
Level 3

My client registered a single member LLC and bought a property under its name. A little more than a year and after incurring some expenses, sold that property. I'm trying to report the sale and capital gain. How do I report the sale of an asset under schedule C? 

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

Is Schedule C the correct place for this property ?  

What was the purpose for purchasing the property ?     

Building for business location ?       Buy, Fix, Flip ?        Rental?   

Babak
Level 3

The only purpose of this single member LLC was to buy this property, demolish and build a new property and sell it. The old property was demolished but nothing was built and it was finally sold. It is under the name of the company not the taxpayer. That's why I think it should be reported under the schedule C for that company.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the property wasn't owned by the SMLLC disregarded for tax purposes, where would you report the sale?

Ex-AllStar
Babak
Level 3

Well it would have been Schedule D, if it was under client name.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

And it still is.

Ex-AllStar
Babak
Level 3

Even though it's not under the name of the taxpayer? Is there an option to show it's connected to schedule C?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes.

No. Schedule C is only appropriate if this was a business. Having something titled in the name of an LLC does not make it a business.

SMLLC disregarded for tax purposes means it is disregarded for tax purposes. You make believe it had John's name on it instead of John LLC.

Ex-AllStar