Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efiling return rejected Code EIN-517-01 Dependents filed their return

skyworks
Level 5

Hi,

One of personal return got rejected Code: IND-517-01 stating that a dependent on the return had filed their own return.

My client called IRS and found one of the dependent's (parent) social security had been filed (by someone).

So the return need be paper filed now along with supporting documents.

But my client has a large refurn and want get the refund ASAP, can we take off the dependt (the parent claimed by someone) try efiling again without that?

Then file form 14039 seperatly for identity theft investigation?

Anyone had this experience before?

thanks! 

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I had a client with that earlier this year. Original return efiled without the dependent in April, with paper-filed 1040X mailed at the same time. Identity theft issue finally completely resolved in August. Amended return claiming the dependent efiled uneventfully in September, when the paper 1040X had still not been processed.

So so so much faster and easier than paper filing. I think the client put in a lot of hours on the identity theft issue, though - I know both taxpayer and dependent had to travel about 90 minutes each way to appear in person with documents proving their identity.