Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we know if any states have been updated with the unemployment fix? Specifically MT.

KG2
Level 2
MT doesn't tax unemployment. So when the full $10200 is subtracted on Sched 1line 8 it creates an error on MT. Some kind of carryover on page 28. I can't get to page 28 and tech support has been unable to solve this. I have mailed in a couple of returns because I just need to get  the returns out.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
IntuitRebecca

Hi,

Montana is one of the states whose unemployment calculation was updated today. The federal UCE amount is added back on Form 2, page 4 (additions schedule), line 14. This should eliminate the double-dip issue. 

- Rebecca

qbteachmt
Level 15

Here's what you want to confirm:

Unemployment compensation is never taxable in Montana. As a result:

• Taxpayers who have filed their Form 2 as of March 12, 2021 should not amend their Montana returns to report this new federal exclusion of unemployment compensation if it was already excluded on Montana Form 2.
  • Taxpayers filing after March 12, 2021, must follow the revised instructions for the lines below to exclude all unemployment compensation from Montana income tax.

Instructions for Montana taxpayers filing after March 12, 2021:

Schedule 1, line 8 – Other Income
Enter the amount from Form 1040, Schedule 1, line 8, including the federal exclusion of unemployment compensation.
Additions Schedule, line 14 – Other Additions.
In addition to other Montana additions reported on this line, enter the total amount of the federal exclusion of your unemployment compensation reported on Schedule 1, line 8. Enter “UCE” in the specification box.
Subtractions Schedule, line 7 – Unemployment Compensation
Enter the unemployment compensation from Schedule 1, line 7. Do not subtract the federal exclusion of unemployment compensation from this line.
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers