Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to file a paper return for an Alabama Non-Resident if they receive a K-1 with a passive Net section 1231 loss? Long Shot!

mattgutz
Level 3
I receive the following diagnostic - "Form BDE(NR), Schedule D, line 3 column C Amount Received Totals: Per Alabama electronic filing specifications, a negative amount is not allowed on this line. If the amount is correct, then the return will have to be filed as a conventional paper return."  The loss that is being reported is not even allowed on the current year Federal return.

This is the only Alabama return I will be filiing this year and I was wondering if anybody could assist.  It seems like this would be a common problem that should not prevent filing the return electronically.

Thank you!
0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

https://www.revenue.alabama.gov/faqs/who-must-file-an-alabama-individual-income-tax-return/

"Nonresidents must file a return if their Alabama income exceeds the allowable prorated personal exemption."

If the only income your AL non-resident has is a 1231 loss, do they have a filing requirement?

If your guy has an AL filing requirement, judicious entries into the Dispositions screen, such that the loss ends up in Column E, might solve your problem.