Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I delete depreciation if client decides not to take depreciation due to not having prior deprecation schedule to show how much was already depreciated?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you not able to work through the data using prior tax filing(s)?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Taking depreciation is not an option.

Get all prior tax returns/transcripts, and you can often figure out the prior depreciation.

Even getting SOME of prior information (tax returns/transcripts) can help you figure out what was done before.  And unless evidence shows otherwise, assume that prior depreciation is correct.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/heres-how-people-can-request-a-copy-of-their-previous-tax-return

sjrcpa
Level 15

If an item is depreciable you depreciate it.

It is not a choice for you or the client.

Upon sale you get dinged for the larger of depreciation allowed or allowable.

Have client do some more digging and/or request from prior preparer.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

That has got to be a new record - three answers posted in under one minute of each other.  Hopefully Intuit still has the podiums setup to award the gold, silver, and bronze for this one.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Hopefully Intuit still has the podiums setup to award the gold, silver, and bronze for this one.

I shouldn't have done the link ... that lost me the gold and dropped me to silver.

😂

George4Tacks
Level 15

At some point, it must be reckoned with. I would use a computational method to recreate the accumulated depreciation that SHOULD have been taken. I found  https://www.calculator.net/depreciation-calculator.html which can be useful in doing this. 

Give the client the option - pay you to do it right, or have you do it in a manner that shows all assets fully depreciated (not a good choice). Explain the cost difference in doing both. Third option - you can both go your own way and say "It's been nice meeting you."

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns