Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed statement of charitable contributions

Rox
Level 3

It would be quite helpful if I could create and print a Statement of the charitable contributions detail from Schedule A. I see that one can elect statements for other areas of Schedule A such as Taxes or mortgages. I have clients that contribute to several charities every year - one in particular that I am working on now lists 25 different 501(c)(3) entities. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitRebecca

Hi there,

The input labeled "Optional statement for medical, mortgage, contributions, etc. (Click on arrow to select from list) [Override]" should generate the statement you're looking for, so long as the Sch A is printing with the return. Choose 1 to see the contributions under Statements, or select 2 to have the contribution details print with worksheets.
2023-07-24_11-33-02.png

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
BobKamman
Level 15

Whom would you expect to be reading it?  Certainly not IRS.  And your clients should already have the list, since they are the ones who gave it to you.  

Rox
Level 3

My clients and I would, thank you. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unless someone is looking to generate additional fees for data entry, why would someone want to enter 25 line items for contributions?  Like the thinker mentioned above, the IRS isn't going to read it and you and your client have already read it, so what is accomplished by providing that list?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Of course, we don't know if what the preparer had to work with was a shoebox of 50 receipts, some of them to political organizations and some of them to needy individuals. So a list of what was actually deductible should be kept for the files.  But not filed.  IRS doesn't want to clutter its servers with such electronic data.  

Rox
Level 3

Goodness, I am not asking for an IRS statement to be initiated! I don't give a flying leap about "cluttering their servers". I am only concerned with my own use of this information in a statement or worksheet form for myself. Does IRS get a copy of the optional statement of other Schedule A items like medical or taxes that Pro-Connect does offer a toggle for? My clients bring acknowledgements from charities for their donations, not just a handwritten list. These are often extensive enough to make filing itemized deductions advantageous for them. I expect that any data that I input into any software should be able to be retrieved in whole. There are lots of details that get swallowed up in Pro-Connect and cannot be mined.

0 Cheers
IntuitRebecca

Hi there,

The input labeled "Optional statement for medical, mortgage, contributions, etc. (Click on arrow to select from list) [Override]" should generate the statement you're looking for, so long as the Sch A is printing with the return. Choose 1 to see the contributions under Statements, or select 2 to have the contribution details print with worksheets.
2023-07-24_11-33-02.png

0 Cheers
Rox
Level 3

Thank you for that response, Rebecca. I appreciate your guidance and directness without the unnecessary prods to justify my stance. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Intuit had a sale on prods this week so we got a bunch of them really cheap and we didn't want them to go to waste. 

Sometimes folks ask things here that they think might be really important that really don't mean diddly to the IRS.  And sometimes some of us will post things to point out the items don't mean diddly or we learn by posting that there might be a valid point to the original question that we had overlooked.  If you consider that to be unnecessary prods, so be it.  I am crushed by your response and might have to take off the rest of the day to recover --------------- but I should be better by tomorrow. 🤒

Slava Ukraini!