Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred gain on sale of rental property in a prior tax year.

stephanie2
Level 2
I have a new tax client who sold rental property and deferred the gain.  The gain needs to be recognized in TY 2019 but I cannot find where this should go.  Any hints?  Thank you in advance!
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

What sort of deferred gain?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
stephanie2
Level 2

It was rental property that was sold in a prior tax year (client is unsure what tax year specifically).  I did not prepare that tax return nor do I have a copy.  I did forget to mention that this is for a LLC (Form 1065) where there are 20+ rental properties.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You need a copy of that prior year return so you know what was done and what still needs to be done.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

Before you know what to report, how to report, and where to report, you need to find out which code section applies, how that arose, what was reported previously, what triggered the recognition, etc.  Time to ask more questions of the client and obtain copies of those prior year returns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar